Tuesday, October 11, 2005

A Simple idea.. A Habit for LIFE !

Am a sports freak, i really am. My love for sports started without my knowing, before i knew what hit me, i was an avid sports fan. I have a vague idea of how it happened, credit goes to my dad. This if i remember right happened when i was 12, seeing me mostly inactive and becoming a TV-guy bothered him, he wanted me to do something useful, that could be physically and mentally useful.

He asked me to start reading newspapers, i was like yeah, those days "The Hindu" newspaper was like a mini-geography book, full of solid content, no wishy-washy or unwanted stuff, NEWS, thats all it had. Naturally, i did not warm up to it, my dad was bent on me getting started with newspapers, so he suggested me to look at pictures, hoping that would help me gain interest.But, seriously, all the newspaper had was pictures form train accidents or politicians waving their hands.

Yeah, fair to say, this picture experiment did not pan out. Then my dad, suggested, browse through the Sports section only, you can read about Kapil Dev, then mega indian cricket star. Wow, that was something that appealed to me. So i started to look at cricket related news and Sports. But, cricket is not round the year game, so during periods where there was no action i did not have much to read in that section.

Thats when i noticed a small section on Soccer, the English Premier League, it somehow was interesting to read about. And fortunately there was an EPL game that evening broadcast on ESPN, i warmed up to it, the game was between Manchester United and Liverpool, and Manchester were playing great football, the commentator was singing praises for their coach and how beautiful their game was, truth be told that game looked splendid, and they scored a few times and it all looked fun.Next day, i read about them in the sports section, this was a break through for me, i read something other than cricket.

My interest for Soccer in general started growing, so much so that i started to watch and read about it a lot. What started as a simple idea by my father, i became addicted to newspaper, slowly i read other sections politics, city life and globescan.Today, the first thing i do in the morning as i sip my coffee is read the newspaper. And when i browse through the sports section, i always get reminded of how this habit started by a simple idea from my dad. Thanks dad, you have given me a great habit that i cherish everyday!!

1 comment:

pushkalAn& pattabhiraman said...

hi vinod..
i set out today to read few blogs...and urs was one of them..
nice post ..
sporting ur habit of life... ?

are u by anychance a sportperson.!!
jus curious ya!
cheers
suha raman